Thursday, October 05, 2006

the next step????

i know that being a Christian and all i am expected to believe in life after death wioth God & Jesus in Heaven.

well thats the thing, im not sure what to believe. i'd like to think we go to Heaven, but i supose there is all things about reincarnation and all that stuff that is confusing me.

i am starting to feel like this is the next step in my faith, trying to find out what i believe, but im finding it quite hard.

i had a conversation the other day with my mate (was in science but dont worry we had finished our work). we were having a good discussion on this and the thing i found most rewarding (i could call it that) is that she doesn't mind whether i have a faith or not, she will always be my friend. she doesn't have a faith and she admires people who can take that step because she feels she is not the type of person to be able to do that. but even so we have good discussions. she said to me don't stop asking questions so....

can someone please guide me in the right direction in my faith? help me figure it out?
i'd really appriciate some guidence.

thanks
xxx

3 comments:

Will said...

wow - more questions :) I like it.

Well - to some extent you have to make up your own mind. I trust the bible because it makes sense to me, I believe in the God who wrote it, I know Him, I know lots of other people who know him. The bible is an awesome book. So I believe in Heaven too cos its in the bible.

If you believe that Jesus died and rose from the dead to pay the price for your sins and you have accepted him as your Lord then you're saved and go to heaven:

(Romans 10:9-10 If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved.)

In Heaven we have real bodies that are perfect - we're not just spirits. We get to be with God and there is no more sin or sadness - basically nothing bad.

Thats the relatively easy part. Hell is more tricky. Our salvation army doctrines say that we believe in the eternal punishment of the wicked (quote: "We believe in the immortality of the soul; in the resurrection of the body; in the general judgment at the end of the world; in the eternal happiness of the righteous; and in the endless punishment of the wicked"

Lots of people struggle with this. Just because you dont believe in God or have never heard about him does that make you wicked? Is it fair to be punished for ever because of this? Well it would seem not. But that's what the bible seems to indicate. This is another one where faith comes into place - some things are too tricky for us - thats why I'm glad its God who decides not us! I've got a good chapter in a book about it all - I'll bring it to you.

Thomas said...

To me, what makes my faith so great is that i can throw questions at it and still be a christian. I can have second thoughts on subjects such as creationism and heaven, but does that mean im not a christian just on a journey with GOD! are you not a christian just because you use your free will that GOD gives everyone to question some beliefs.

Well I will pray for you!

But sooner or later, with help from the LORD you will find what you are searching for!

I thought that was a part of being a christian, everyone has there own independent journey with GOD!

Ryan said...

Hey Freddie,
I know you made this post about 6 weeks ago, so you might not even read this. I just stumbled over your blog and love your honesty!
I just want to encourage you to keep asking questions. God reveals to those who ask!
Even Jesus' disciples asked questions about reincarnation and he didn't tear them apart for not having all the answers.
Check out John 9. The disciples meet a man who had been blind from birth and ask Jesus if he was blind as punishment for his parent's sin or because of his own sin (which, if he was blind from birth, would imply he was being punished for sins in a previous life, right? ...In other words... reincarnation?).
Jesus didn't crush them for questioning theology! He just said; "Neither of those ideas works. This guy is blind, so that God's power can be seen in his life". In this instance, he healed the guy and 'hey presto' God's power was revealed.
Sometimes though, we don't get that healing so fast, so we have to show God's power by loving Him, despite our afflictions (see the book of Job...a complete whiner, but didn't give up on God. That's real power!). Maybe it shows greater power to love God when we're hurting than when we're healed! Anyway, I'm off track already...that's for another "sermon". The point is that even the disciples who witnessed miracles firsthand in the very presence of Jesus Christ, still had questions about faith, heaven, reincarnation, sin, and a whole lot more.
Blind faith can be beautiful, but faith that comes after a lot of questions, prayer, blood, sweat and tears can be even more so!!
Keep up the good blogging Freddie!