i have a few of those questions again, you know, those that are hard to answer. i came up with them in R.E today at school. i would appreciate any opinions on them.
- (ok ive said this before but im going to repeat it) Why does the world cope with diseases and wars and famine? isn't God good?
- or is it the devil? (i know it is the devil but i used it to get to the other questions) why doesn't God overthrow the devil?
- has the devil contaminated too many people for God to get rid of the devil?
just a few things to think about. also if you read Noah (Genesis Chp6-Chp8) after coming up with these, it becomes quite scary.
freddie xx
3 comments:
Right then - I've taken this as a challenge...
1. There are a few really fundamental things about God, us and the world. One is God is good - no arguments, he just is, he is love, he is just (as in justice), He is good - that's who He is. Another fundamental is that freewill is really important. The way I think about it is that there was no point in God making us if we don't have freewill. You know what's coming: if we have free will - we can sin and that makes the world (mostly) a bad place. Most of the world's problems are a result of man's sin - greed, hate, selfishness, pride etc. Natural disasters are a bit more tricky - some are really man-made (climate change and global warming- drought and starvation is more a problem of poverty than climate). Earthquakes and stuff - tricky - Some say the whole world was affected by the fall - not just people, but the whole earth went pear-shaped when eve ate the apple - basically the world is not how it should be.
2. Again - freewill. Basically the devil has free will too. God thinks it's that important. Don't forget - this isn't forever - we get to see what the world should be like when we get to heaven!
3. Really interesting point! Might be true. Sin is not all about the devil - it's about us. Personally I think we big up the devil too much. He's not as big as God and He can't be everywhere at once. But we are inherently sinful - again the result of the fall. (If you were listening to my last sermon though - we can be made Holy (sin-free) by the Holy spirit. Try reading the parable of the weeds (matthew 13 I think) - makes this point about us being contaminated.
I really like your blog- deals with important big questions - keep it coming :)
Hmmmmm.
1) I think you answer yourself with this question- you say the world "Copes" with this stuff- the world copes because of God. There are enough people in this world that rely on God, although in different ways through different religions, that this world really is a fantastic Place to be. I agree with Will's comment- everything went wrong when Eve ate the fruit. Sin seperates us from our bond with God; so when there are disasters that are a result of Sin, God can seem so far away but seen as it's other people's sin there's no reason why that hould seperate us from God but it shouldn't- God is there to comfort us when such things happen like disease and famine and eventually we'll get through it- be it in this life or the next.
2. God can't overthrow the devil. Remember the stuff about the devil being an angel gone wrong- well thats because God gives us all free will. God could easily overthrow the devil; God's omnipotent beyond our wildest dreams but if God overthrew the devil we'd loose out on that exprerince of being faithful to God; which sometimes is a painful experience- but when we win the race we'll be on top!
3. No, see above. I disagree with Will on this bit. The devil isn't to biggged up in my opinion and he has corrupted us all; wether we like it or not. He is indirectly as big as God- it's like disease, when one person is corrupted it spreads and spreads but those who remain faithful to God can (and will be) clensed.
You say it gets scary.. I know what u mean it's all scary stuff!!
See you soonest!
Callum x <><
Lately I have been really exited. I used to think i was the only teenage Christian but searching through blogs i have realised I am not. I am encouraged!
I think this post is significant! I think that as Christians we need to stop pushing these issues aside.
Its always been something I have found difficult to awnser myself.
To me famine would not be as big a problem if man was not so selfish and greedy. Yes God has gave us freewill, God has gave us freewill to Sin. Even though he is against it. He lets us make mistakes, but he gives us the resources to overcome those mistakes. Famine is a problem, but if the world was not so greedy then people wouldn't die of famine because we would give aid.
God gives us the chance to prevent famine and poverty but he also tests our will as humans to whether we prevent it or not.
Sadly many people have been under sidation from the Devil and can not see Gods Kingdom, but as Christians and true disciples of Jesus Christ and the word, Gods word we will always try our best to make Gods Kingdom as peace loving as possible.
Just as he wanted it!
Hope you don't mind me commenting on your blog either but i just find it interesting and helpful as i journey through my Christian path.
Thomas!
Post a Comment