Friday, August 20, 2010

A Summer To Remember

This is the blog that was put onto The Salvation Army's blog today;

Well this summer has been really busy, tiring, uplifting and eye opening for me. I’d finished college (finally!) and I did a bit of volunteer work at school but the first main thing on my agenda was the World Youth Convention that was to be held in Sweden in July.

When I applied for the WYC, I’ll admit, I wasn’t too sure about going but once I found out I was, I was overjoyed. I spent the year following my application trying to raise awareness of this event in my division and raising money to enable me to attend. All this time had passed and I’d made it to the airport on Wednesday 14th July to meet with fellow delegates and to make our way to Sweden.

I remember being the first person, with Rebecca Perry, to turn up and meet Major Andrea Sawyer and Major Janet Robson. They were to be our chaperones for the next few days. Shortly after we met, more delegates arrived one being Matthew Brown. I remember this really well because he greeted me by asking me if I was Rebecca Billard, to which I replied yes, followed by “Apparently we used to play together when we were 2 years of age”. This was due to our officer parents being in neighbouring corps. Two minutes in and we’d already seen some of the connections the Army seems to be famous for! They’d be plenty more to come! The rest of the day enabled us as a territory to bond and make friends which set the foundations for the ‘WYC family’ we have today.

Thursday morning gave us time to ‘sight-see’ Stockholm although with the weather being 28C by 8.30am, we actually went shopping for shorts and had dinner at Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream shop. Thursday afternoon saw the raising of the banners to mark the beginning of such a big event which everyone there, and many more who weren’t present, believed was the start of the next movement of The Salvation Army! Amen! Shortly after, our opening meeting started with a mind blowing, spine-shivering, Amen-shouting introduction from all of the creative arts groups bringing us Send The Fire. I just remember being speechless, frozen to the spot with the weirdest feeling tingling down my spine that continued throughout the meeting. It was clear from the moment the first chord played that the Holy Spirit was working in Sweden and in the hearts and minds of everyone there.

The General spoke about how God raised up The Salvation Army to do His work and that we had been called to the WYC for a reason. It wasn't by chance we were there, it was by God's plan. We listened to many messages from the creative arts groups and tried to go live to Times Square in New York. The mercy seat was flooded and people had to kneel at their seats or in the isles. The worship within the auditorium was spectacular and Major Mark Sawyer (TYS for U.K), amongst others, said that he's ‘never, ever experienced such powerful worship in all things he's ever been to.’ Words cannot describe what happened as the Spirit moved within us and this was just the first meeting!

The same atmosphere was around throughout the whole week and it really will be an experience I’ll never forget. I’ve made friends for life, been open to a whole new idea about what The Salvation Army really is and also been open to what God wants me to do with my life. The whole week spoke to me about where I’m heading in my life and whether I’m doing what I’m supposed to be doing. I remember the meeting in which Commissioner Sue Swanson spoke about Officership very clearly, but what got me was the fact that there was also confirmation that there are other callings, not just Officership. She said that every Soldier of The Salvation Army needs to be open to the thought of Officership, but it isn’t for everyone, and that’s okay. It reassured me that whatever I do in life and wherever I go, God will be with me and He will tell me where I need to be, all I need to do is trust Him and be open to His will. It’s made me re-evaluate where I’m headed and I’m not as scared of the future as I used to be because I know He’s with me and I have a feeling that He’ll get His way in me anyway!! The WYC means an awful lot to me and it’s a privilege to be part of such an event and to be a part of the next movement of The Salvation Army. My hopes and prayers are that God will use this event to ‘Raise Up’ The Salvation Army and that we will use this event to ‘Raise Up’ our Lord God Almighty.

My summers are usually busy as I’m on staff at my divisional J.S Camp and I student at my divisional Summer School (Break-a-way), so a few days after the WYC finished, I was straight into J.S Camp, whose theme for this year was ‘Go MAD’ (Go Make A Difference). We studied Noah, Joseph, Esther, the man who came through the roof and Pentecost. For me the story of Esther stood out. Esther was chosen to be Xerxes’ Queen but she didn’t tell him she was a Jew. Esther’s uncle Mordecai didn’t like one of the royal officers Haman as Haman was determined to kill all the Jews. Mordecai ended up gaining the same rank as Haman when Esther decided to tell Xerxes of Haman’s plot and her race. This resulted in Haman being killed and Esther saving her people. The story shows us that God’s still working whether we see it or not. Esther couldn’t understand why God told her not to reveal her race when she got married, but a few years later when Haman’s plot came to light, she realised that she was there to save her people. I know I’ve looked back on my life and seen God’s hand working, but when I think back to how I felt at the time, I didn’t realise. I think it’s really reassuring that He’s always around and His plan for us is always in action, whether we realise or not.

Break-a-way (NW Division Summer School) was another God-filled week in which the story of Esther came up again! Esther is a story that has me thinking about my own life and how God is going to go about using me. When Spire visited on the Monday of our camp, they did two sessions on Identity and Vocation, both of which fitted in perfectly with what had been happening at the WYC and at JS Camp. I was confused at what my future had in store. I had applied to university but I wasn’t sure whether that was the way I should go and so these two sessions really hit home for me. I now know that whatever happens, the Lord will bring me on the right path at the right time, it’s all His timing. It’s all about trusting Him, something that is really hard, but worth it. Break-a-way always helps me on my journey and I believe that Summer Schools are very important to the youths’ spiritual journey.

My summer has been jam-packed full with God-filled events. I’ve been filled to my capacity with the Holy Spirit all summer and I know that that will not always be the case, but this summer has opened up my whole life to me! Whatever God wants me to do; I’m open to do it. 2 months ago, I wouldn’t have been open to His will at all. I know that it doesn’t matter which path I take to get to where He wants me to go because He’ll be with me the whole way if I let Him, and I’m going to let Him. All I need to do is stay open to His will and stay close to Him.

37 comments:

Public Service said...

Hi,

I just noticed that the domain name freddiecafone.com has become available. Since you own the blogspot blog by the same name, I thought you would like to know. If you want to register it, I recommend GoDaddy.com.

Cheers!

forever said...

I'm appreciate your writing skill.Please keep on working hard.^^

jlkl said...

因為我是詞窮的人 ≧O≦


















Hanaa said...

hi nice sit Please visit my blog, Thanks

downlights said...

I appreciate your post, thanks for sharing the post, i want to hear more about this in future

safwan mustafa said...

very good writing yo
follow my blog at lovesixten.blogspot

Lecia said...

I also believe that allowing God to guide our path is the best way to a happy life, but it's not easy to do all the time! I hope you find your calling and keep working with the Salvation Army.

Leah said...

Thanks Patmos pete for the reminder, God loves you read your bible!
check out my blog
http://myblog-leah-soccer.blogspot.com/
Thanks!

gusDon said...

A record of an honest and inspiring... Moreover, your involvement in the Salvation Army... It requires dedication and love...
I respect you!

selgomez1992 said...

COME AND VISIT http://ashtisdaleorg.blogspot.com/!!!!!THAT RULEZZZZ

Veer said...

I liked it so much and very interesting, too! Thanks for sharing the experience.
Wonderful post, really great tips and advice. I was interested by your comment,
Cheap Flights to Lagos
< Flights to Lagos
< Lagos flights

Anonymous said...

I also believe letting God guide you can lead to a happier life. It did for me! That's how I got my beautiful wifey.

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

This looks like a very nice place! I liked it so much and very interesting, too! Thanks for sharing the experience.

Cheap Greece holidays
Cape Town Holiday Packages
Egypt Holiday Packages
Cheap Kerala holidays
Singapore Holiday Packages
Las Vegas Holiday Packages

Australian Diamonds Blogger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Wow
Amazing blog to follow
I would suggest to follow my all friends and family to follow his blog .
Vivacious Blog - Full life and energy.
Keep Posting
carpet steam cleaning

reta said...

world top news
nice

roye said...

Consistant with "reverse positioning" understand the REAL Second Coming would equate with The Matrix's Anti-Christ, the fake battle of good and evil which will come at the end.
I have spoken on this issue in years past. Understanding how they use the political encviornment to redefine people's value system, realize anyone who speaks of the old world and its ways will envoke hatred. So when/if the Anti-Christ comes along speaking of reverting back to what liberalism would consider repressed and immoral may be the only hope to salvage the god's favor and keep moving forward rather than begin the 1000 year clock. The fake Second Coming will feed into this political enviornment.
Cheap Flights to Phnom Penh
Flights to Phnom Penh
Phom Penh Flights

Dr Chris Hill said...

Hi Becky,

Here's a good video I found on YouTube about religion, you might like to view it and see what you think.

”God in my life”

I think it makes a lot of good common sense don't you?

From
Chris Hill

American youth: Young gifted and passionate about religion. ”Fiery lady”

Anonymous said...

POLO L-Sleeved Shirt For Men on when the flowered shirt certainly must avoid raising the quantity the POLO Shirts For Men., before others will think that you will be a southern coastal provinces guest, now has the possibility to think that this will be the young nouveau riche who will set up a stall does business. Certainly, looked at these many rules, you internal outside, high and low clothing's matching has not grasped as before, that tightens records one: Regardless of the white shirts matches anything to be appropriate long sleeve for women.
A white shirts cannot change the black magic, but with the different color POLO Sweaters For Men supplement, will have the rich change. The white shirts may treat as the uniform, puts on appears has the masculinity very much, both heroic and sex appeal. The white shirts may also be a dance suit, even may treat as the coat to put on, how to put on is decided completely by yours individual personal status and the style polo shirt.
The white shirts adds the black tie, ash trousers in this case then may apply. Such three put on the law, one kind of very free office worker felt for the Polo for women polo, does not need to trade the color daily, simple has the personal status, is office worker's best matching POLO T-Shirts For Men.

Anonymous said...

POLO L-Sleeved Shirt For Men on when the flowered shirt certainly must avoid raising the quantity the POLO Shirts For Men., before others will think that you will be a southern coastal provinces guest, now has the possibility to think that this will be the young nouveau riche who will set up a stall does business. Certainly, looked at these many rules, you internal outside, high and low clothing's matching has not grasped as before, that tightens records one: Regardless of the white shirts matches anything to be appropriate long sleeve for women.
A white shirts cannot change the black magic, but with the different color POLO Sweaters For Men supplement, will have the rich change. The white shirts may treat as the uniform, puts on appears has the masculinity very much, both heroic and sex appeal. The white shirts may also be a dance suit, even may treat as the coat to put on, how to put on is decided completely by yours individual personal status and the style polo shirt.
The white shirts adds the black tie, ash trousers in this case then may apply. Such three put on the law, one kind of very free office worker felt for the Polo for women polo, does not need to trade the color daily, simple has the personal status, is office worker's best matching POLO T-Shirts For Men.

counter strike online said...

I think that summer is the only season of the year that we really enjoy and remember the rest are boring time of the year

thefisherlady said...

my daughter, Shoshanna, attends a Salvation Army church in Johannesburg South Africa... She plays her trombone in the band and the piano and sings in the worchip team. the three little kids she is adopting just love it there... God is so good!
Thanks for sharing your story!
check out her blog
http://addingjoyandlaughter.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

高潮,犀利士,威而鋼,印度神油,蒼蠅水,金蒼蠅,陰莖增大,

Cross said...

Yu write so much!!
http://tbotb177.blogspot.in/
Check it out

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing your experience:)
I just found your blog and I think it's pretty amazing, well structured and with a lot of inspiring posts:)
If you want we can follow each other, I would be very glad to have you as my new friend!:X
I also have an amazing GIVEAWAY on my blog, please check it out:)

Cert Killer said...

I collected a lot of interesting things from your blog especially its discussion. From the comments in your posts, I believe I’m not alone having all the enjoyment here! keep up the great work.

Anonymous said...

Summer is my favourite season.
TestKiller
CertKiller
Exam Questions
Test Papers
Exam Dumps

squash seeds said...

An unforgettable event. I will miss that.

Banda TPM: Treinadas para Mandar! said...

Pessoal acessem tb a banda smile..
blogbandasmile.blogspot.com!

ymcmb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nouvelle entreprise said...

Nice I Like it :)

hasssi said...

nice info..i have also started a blog..

this one..
http://dunyiapakistan.blogspot.com/

please give me some suggestions.


http://dunyiapakistan.blogspot.com/

please give me some suggestions.

Spartacus said...

There is no god, that's just voices in your head.

http://democraticprogress.net/

Anonymous said...

gana dinero

www.sanmar001.es.tl

Aprés bac said...

Après Bac I like your acticle

Unknown said...

nice one...
アシュレイマディソン

Mongolian Beef Recipe said...

Foods is very important thing in our life. We need healthy and testy Food very much. You know Chinese Food is very testy to take. But also Bengali Food & Indian Food is really good. Bengali Food& Indian Foodis like to similar. Another Food have like that Italian Food, Japanese Food, Greek Food, Spanish Food Mexican Food
Thai Food is also very testy. You can get here Whole Food Recipes in this site.

Whole Food Recipes

Mongolian Beef Recipe